Brief History of Riverside
A brief history of Riverside Veterinary Hospital
Riverside Veterinary Hospital has been providing quality veterinary care to the greater Rocky Mount area since it was established in 1946 by Dr. Bruce Staton. The veterinary hospital built at 1902 Sunset Ave was the original building from 1946, although it was added on to and remodeled several times over the years. Dr. Bruce Staton was joined in practice later by his younger brother, Dr. Lemuel Staton. Upon Bruce Staton’s death, Dr. Lemuel Staton practiced by himself until 1970 when Dr. Ben Turner joined him in practice at Riverside.
In 1985, Drs. Staton and Turner purchased the practice of Dr. Jap Allen at 1017 North Church Street. Both Riverside and North Church Street Veterinary Hospitals continued serving the pet needs of the area with associate veterinarians joining Drs. Staton and Turner in practice.
In 1987, Dr. Bob Cameron joined the Riverside team from Pasquotank Animal Hospital in Elizabeth City. Dr. Cameron became a partner with Dr. Ben Turner in February 1988 as Dr. Lem Staton retired. Drs. Turner and Cameron continued operating both Riverside and North Church Street Veterinary Hospitals. Additional associate veterinarians have practiced at both hospitals over the years as the practice has grown from a two doctor practice to a five doctor practice.
In September 1999 Hurricane Floyd flooded North Church Street Veterinary Hospital and the decision was made to close that hospital and move all the staff to Riverside Veterinary Hospital and practice out of one building.
In February of 2000, Dr. Ben Turner retired and Dr. Bryan Rodgers, who had been an associate since 1992, became a partner with Dr. Robert Cameron. Dr. Bryan Rodgers decided in February 2007 to leave the practice to become a relief veterinarian and Dr Bob Cameron became the sole owner of Riverside Veterinary Hospital. Several excellent veterinarians have provided quality veterinary care over the years. Dr. Chandra Meachem Tucker joined Riverside in January 2007. Dr Sarah Ferrell Weeks became part of the Riverside team in June 2011. Dr. Abelina Gaona came to Riverside in June 2012, followed by Dr. Meghan Harris.
Riverside Veterinary Hospital has an exceptional lay staff to help serve our clients. Several team members have over 20 years experience on the Riverside team. This support staff has also expanded over the years. In 1988 when Dr. Cameron and Dr. Turner became partners Riverside had a staff of two receptionists, one full-time and 2 part-time technicians, two groomers, and two part-time kennel helpers. Today our staff includes four full-time and one part-time client service representatives, seven full-time technicians, two full-time and one part-time groomers, a Doggie Day Care and Animal Caretaker and four part-time animal caretakers.
Our hospital at 1902 Sunset Avenue provided excellent service for over 60 years but became too crowded and limiting. In January 2009 Riverside Veterinary Hospital moved into our new 9500 square foot
hospital at 99 Success Court. This new facility has allowed us to expand many services, add new services like Doggie Day Care and enhance the strengths of friendly, caring service that have been Riverside for so many years. This new beautiful facility will hopefully serve Riverside’s needs for another 60 years.
Riverside Veterinary Hospital has a long history of providing high quality, compassionate, professional veterinary medicine and surgery. Our practice has grown significantly over the years and we thank all our clients and our Lord. Our vision is to be the premiere veterinary practice in the area. We strive to build lasting relationships with pets, clients, and fellow team members that show our caring and concern.